Monday, August 16, 2010

Here Is a Shocker!

Yesterday, in the ongoing series Pop Culture Tao, I shared two videos of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. As I stated in the post itself, that stirring piece plus Rossini's William Tell Overture always brings me to tears. Well, there's another bit of classical music that ALWAYS has the same effect on me and, knowing my anti-religious nature, it will probably shock many of you.

It's The Hallelujah Chorus from the Handel's Messiah. Though the words to this oratorio no longer hold any meaning for me, the sweeping majesty of the music, combined with the awesome harmonies, simply sweep me off my feet. I could listen to it all day long.

Not only do I enjoy this small portion of Handel's most famous work, but I own a 2-CD set of the entire oratorio. It's not uncommon for me to a spend a day playing it over and over again.

When my mother died in 1992, I selected The Hallelujah Chorus performed by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir (very similar to the version shown below) as the end music for her funeral. It was one of mom's favorite classical pieces and I wanted people to leave the church on a high emotional note. Though I tend to be a very sentimental person, I held my emotions together that day...until the chorus started playing. At that point, I lost it altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.