Friday, July 2, 2010

A World Series

With the works of Chen Jen coming to a close this month and Daodejing - Other Voices set to end during the first week in August, I was feeling a bit lost since, as I'm sure you all can gather, I like the series format. What to do? What to do?

Then inspiration struck! Why not start a NEW series? :-D

So, the next series is going to be my take on world issues from a Taoist standpoint. Of course, in my general posts, I often discuss issues of this nature and that won't change, but this new series will focus on a specific issue per post like immigration, education or stem cell research. I will take a look at what I consider to be appropriate passages from the Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu to apply to the featured issue.

In the present and past, I've conducted two different types of series. The first type has been utilized with the Tao Te Ching, Hua Hu Ching, Wen Tzu, Daodejing - Other Voices (written by others) and currently The Book of Chen Jen (written by Scott, only formatted by me). This series style goes through a published work verse by verse or chapter by chapter usually in numerical order.

The second type of series is best illustrated by Real Life Tao. The tie that binds the various topics together is my experience as a fellow human being trying to incorporate Taoist principles into my everyday life. While the other style generally features a set start and end point, Real Life Tao is open-ended. Posts for it appear now and then as the inspiration hits me. Sometimes they come in flurries and, at other times, they appear sporadically.

Tao on the Issues will follow this latter style. Just like with Real Life Tao, I may well cover the same core issues in more than one post. On the index page (on my wordpress shadow blog), I will list issues as headers and then, under the headers, will be the post or posts that address the specific issue.

For example, if I wanted to write one or more posts on the critical socio-political issue of Farm Animals Invading Suburban Malls, a portion of the index page would look like this (with each title linked to the corresponding post):
Farm Animals Invading Suburban Malls
  • How Now Brown Cow - 8/14/10
  • Pigging Out at the Food Court - 11/1/10
  • We've Got to Halt This Horsing Around - 2/6/11
  • Don't Kowtow to Old Sows - 8/28/12
As with any series you find on this blog, I am NOT offering THE definitive Taoist viewpoint on anything. All you will read is MY take as one Taoist on the issues. You may think I've nailed a particular issue smack on its head OR you might think I'm as wrong as wrong can be. The comments section is your space to sound off to tell me what a wonderful example of a human being I am OR to tell me I've got my head up my ass so far that all I can see is...well...I don't want to put words in your mouth!

I've already got one post brewing in me pea-sized noggin. You may see it tomorrow or in a few days. As this will be an open-ended series, you can expect posts of this nature from now until who knows when. If there is an issue out there that you'd like to take a crack at, I am ALWAYS open to guest posts.

Let's see where this series takes us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.