Sunday, July 4, 2010

Strange Balancing Act

The other day my wife remarked that it was sort of weird that I spend so much time contemplating and writing about balance, yet, on a strictly physical level, I have so much difficulty remaining in an upright position. She has a point. I am a born klutz. My 6'1" frame frequently resembles a tree just after the faller screams, Timber!

Beset with inner ear issues since early childhood, life frequently looks AND feels slightly out of kilter. Upon getting dressed each morning, it's not uncommon for me to lose my balance and to fall slightly or crash into the walls of my bedroom. I just as frequently crash my shoulders into walls as I walk around corners. Often, if I'm reaching for something, I look like I'm about to teeter over. Even doing something as benign as standing in the shower under the water can cause sudden half-steps as my sense of balance magically disappears.

In some cases, all it takes is to center myself internally and my sense of physical balance returns. At other times, however, this tack doesn't work at all. I can feel very centered inside, but the outside is another matter altogether!

In its own strange way, I guess the one way in which I balance out my being is in contemplating the concept of balance itself. I realize that may sound strange, but it makes an odd sort of sense to me, though not in a way I can explain in words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.