Saturday, July 10, 2010

I KNOW You've Been There

I've mentioned many times before that I only write the words when they wish to be revealed. I must admit, however, that I sometimes try to hurry them along. Whenever I try this tack, they tend to let me know that they simply aren't ready and I need to hold my horses!

There are times in which I sit down at my keyboard and, before I know it, a theme pops into my head and I type a post. At other times, a theme or topic pops into my head, but the words that will fill out the post do not. I try to allow them the time to percolate in my subconscious and, when they are ready, to expose them at the proper time.

There are times -- like right now -- when I feel the urge to communicate them with you, yet each time I try to write the post that's in my mind, it wilts as soon as it is exposed to the air.

For example, there's a theme I have thought about off and on for the past three days. Each time I try to put pen to virtual paper, the words hide themselves behind the moon. I try to coax them out -- they still refuse to budge.

This situation reminds me of the Taoist adage of flowing like water. When I write freely -- without specific intention -- the words flow like a river. In some places, they rush out like a series of white water rapids. In other places, they meander like a lazy stream.

However, when I vainly attempt to control the flow, the words spin around like in a whirlpool. They run into each other and the whole construction inevitably gets pulled down to the bottom.

The upshot of this brief composition is that the subject I intended to write about now will have to wait. If I am patient, I will be rewarded. If I am not patient, I will end up frustrated and the words may decide to leave the building altogether.

2 comments:

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.