Saturday, July 3, 2010

Celebrating My Non-Success

Like a lot of people, when I first thought about starting a blog, I went surfing on the web for some tips. As I'm sure most of you are aware, there's a whole industry out there in which people host blogs that focus solely on telling other people the so-called secrets of successful blogging. I quickly surmised, however, that successful meant profitable and I wasn't looking to get into blogging to make money.

In very short order, I decided that the vast majority of these tips were of no use to me, so I developed this blog through the tried and true human method of trial and error (with lots more of the latter)!

The first "rule" I decided totally to eschew was the one that suggests that the new blogger should pick a popular and trendy focus. I already knew what topic I wanted to write about -- philosophical Taoism -- and this certainly is NOT a popular and trendy subject.

Another so-called gem was the idea that traffic matters more than content. There seems to be numerous strategies to draw traffic to a blog and I utilize very few of them. These days it is stressed that a blogger needs to make strong use of social networks like Twitter and Facebook; I have no interest whatsoever in signing up with either of them.

Besides, as a lifelong writer, I can't wrap my head around the idea that content should take a back seat. I'd much rather have fewer readers who value content over thousands of vapid visitors who only show up to be seen by others.

The current trend of visiting certain blogs SOLELY for other people to see via comments that you are there reminds me of the age old teenager pursuit of "driving the gut". Kids drive up and down the main drag -- not because they're trying to get from Point A to Point B -- but because they want to see and be seen by others. Needless to say, I never engaged in this inane ritual as a teen.

Another "tip" I chose to ignore has to do with "branding" (whatever in the heck that means!) and leveraging ads to create a revenue stream. While I'm not suggesting that money is evil, it does alter one's approach to a certain degree. I didn't want to play the game of trying to figure out if this post or that post was more conducive to generating the proper profit margin.

I simply wanted to write on a topic I'm passionate about and that's what I have done and continue to do. I wanted to share my thoughts and ruminations with others -- hence a public blog -- and I was hopeful that people would provide feedback from time to time.

So, here's to my non-success! May I continue to be non-successful for years to come.

3 comments:

  1. I picked Tao because it wasn't popular. I think that's why I like it as a philosophy too. ;^)

    Popular things tend to be full of crap. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can relate to this.

    When I get a comment on my that tells me the reader "got it" I am uplifted.

    My husband can't understand why I am writing without being paid, like it is some kind of waste of time or effort.

    I say it is art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every one measures success in a different way. You, my friend, are very successfull in keeping my attention for so long. I may not read every post, but some of them have made me smile or think. And I thank you for that.

    nicolas

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.