Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Wanderings - A Gaggle of Geese, Part 2

If you haven't read Part 1 of this story, you should go back to read it first.

And there, upon its opening, stood Yu Chu. “I would hear more of your Tao, Tzu-yu, if you would consent to teach me,” said he. “For in my heart I know well that these vain speculations are lifeless and sterile.”

After seating him and calling for tea, Tzu-yu answered thus: “There is no Tao I can teach you, for it is as I said, merely a word. For if it designates the Unknowable then it means nothing at all. There is no Tao of which I can speak. But I can tell you this: that the Tao is found in Emptiness, though in Emptiness there is no Tao.”

“What then is Emptiness and how might I find it?” asked Yu Chu.

“Emptiness is your awareness empty of all,” replied Tzu-yu. “It is the end of all knowing and the end of all belief—even the belief in the existence of your own self. Emptiness is your awareness free of self and all identity.

As to how you can find it, your answer lies within. For the only true teacher is your own heart. Follow your heart in stillness and it will show you the way, a way that is truly unique to you. How then could I teach it, or you to another?”

“Is this then the path to the Supreme Vision of Unity?” asked Yu Chu.

“The process is the goal; the goal is the process,” answered Tzu-yu. “The Way is your path; for this reason we call it the Way. Think not of achievement, focus not on an end—how can you foresee an end when you know nothing at all? Follow your path and let be what be. Remember the geese; do not clutter your sky!”

“I will follow this Way, I will resign my post!” exclaimed Yu Chu. “Might I not also accompany you?”

“The Way is in all things and expressed in the same,” replied Tzu-yu. “You need not abandon the life you now live.”

“I understand what you say, yet my bondage is beyond measure and my duties are to propagate the same,” responded Yu Chu. “Were I an executioner, a remover of limbs and heads, truly my duties would not be further from the Way!”

Thinking back to his very own pleas to Chen Jen and how his friend’s assent had brought him such growth, Tzu-yu could find no means to refuse. “Then so it shall be. Resign your post and when you have discharged your duties honorably, we will go to see my friend and mentor, Chen Jen-tzu who can help advise you as to your next best course. For our way of wandering is not for all, being fraught with danger and the rigors of the road.” For though his spirit was strong and his enthusiasm great, Tzu-yu saw, too, that he was frail and of dubious strength.

This post is part of a series. To view the index, go here.

1 comment:

  1. The teaching in this part of the story is great - right to the core. Pure.

    Very good bit. (of the ongoing very good story)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.