Saturday, June 19, 2010

Stuff Eyes Read

You've probably noticed that much of what I read isn't necessarily what one would find on the New York Times best seller's list! Aside from a few biographies and historical topics, here and there, most of the books I spend my time on are philosophical, in nature. Not only does it provide great fodder for this [philosophical] blog, but the world of ideas -- particularly metaphysical and ontological ones -- is something that captured my imagination since an early age.

You've already seen some quotes from one of the two books I am currently reading -- The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons of Crazy Horse. I wouldn't be surprised if you soon see passages from the other book, Do Nothing: Peace for Everyday Living: Reflections on Chuang Tzu's Philosophy by Siroj Sorajjakool as well.

The latter book is written by the fellow who writes The Sacred & the Space In Between blog (in the Taoist Wanderers section in the right sidebar). I came into possession of this small volume because I was contacted by the publisher who asked if I would be interested in reviewing a complimentary copy. "Sure thing!" I said. I'm ALWAYS in the market for free books on Taoism and, as a regular reader of Siroj's blog, I know going in that the book will be well written and contemplative.

[Note: If there are other publishers or authors of books on Taoism or naturalistic philosophy out there who would like to send me a complimentary copy to review on this blog, contact me.]

I love utilizing quotes as a springboard for a blog post. It reflects my reading process. I'll be sitting here reading along and a specific word, phrase, sentence or paragraph will cause me to pause and reflect. Sometimes the concept as presented by the author will spur contemplation, but, just as often, a word or sentence will strike me and cause me to ponder in an altogether different direction.

As I've mention before, I simply don't understand why so many bloggers feature naked quotes. It almost seems like a mechanism to fill space when they don't really have much of anything to say. Since almost ANY statement can be interpreted in numerous ways, what I'm always left to wonder is how the quote impacts the thinking of the person doing the quoting. Why is the quote so meaningful that they decided to share it? Without a word or a comment, I have no way of knowing.

As long as I've broached one pet peeve, let me close by mentioning another. I happen on soooo many Wordpress blogs that utilize the standard tagline of "Just another Wordpress blog." Folks, if you're not aware of it, this is placeholder text! If you don't want a tagline, then delete it. If you desire a brief snippet that describes the nature of your blog, then type in your description.

Doing neither just strikes me as being lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.