Friday, June 18, 2010

Real Life Tao - Finding My Groove, Part 3

This post will make a lot more sense to you if you go back to read Parts 1 & 2 first. :-)

I haven't told you this long tale because I desire your sympathy. What is, is. We each have to deal with the cards dealt to us and no amount of hand wringing or wishing things had been different will alter the past. I am who I am today because of all that has gone before and I can live with that. In fact, though it was certainly difficult to live through parts of it, I am content with the person I am today.

I have Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu to thank for that!

Two of the recurrent themes of philosophical Taoism are 1) To accept our own nature on its own terms and 2) To learn to go with the flow. My nature, for better or worse, is introverted and anti-social. So, I have learned, not only to accept these traits, but to embrace them!

Most days I spend the vast amount of my time alone. I spend quality time with my wife and one or two friends, but the vast quantity of time is spent in my own little world. Della and I live in a two-story home and the second floor is my lair.

In the old days, I would have felt lonely plodding through my days in isolation, but learning to go with my flow has freed me from these negative feelings. I now LOVE being by myself. I am content with my life as it is. I cherish the opportunity to crawl inside my head and my heart to explore the world of ideas, concepts and nothingness.

I think the crucial change in my outlook is that I now realize that I was never alone to begin with. Since everything is connected, I am connected. Whether or not I am directly engaged in the social world matters not. Each of us is one with the life force; even when most people choose to be with others or when I choose to sit by myself in front of my computer or curled up with a book.

This is how the philosophy of Taoism has made a tangible, substantive and POSITIVE difference in my perspective. It has revolutionized the way I view myself and my many quirks. And, while I often wish I didn't physically hurt so damn much, I am content with the person I've become and continue to become.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

2 comments:

  1. A river cannot be a mountain no matter how hard it tries. A mountain cannot be a cloud. Learning to accept ourselves for what we are is so vital. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone else who explores nothingness! I am not alone - yipppeee!

    -- Robin

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.