Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Not in the Big City

One of the blessings with living in a small town in a rural county near forested hills -- far from the hustle and bustle of big city life -- is the routine elements of wildlife that, when seen, amount to little more than a shrug of the shoulders. In this neck of the woods, it's not uncommon in the least to see a coyote crossing the road or a bald eagle flying overhead. Almost any day I desire it, I can watch raccoons feeding or can listen to the hoot of an owl.

The other day I saw two white-tailed deer in the middle of town munching on some greenery. Both were standing catty-corner from South Bend's one grocery store and across the street from city hall. They barely noticed the vehicles moving up and down the street and went about their time feasting on a tasty lunch. After a while, they sauntered up a driveway and then passed between two houses on their way up the hill towards our local hospital.

There have been numerous times -- both day and night -- when I can look out one of the windows in my abode to see one or more deer in my neighbor's yard or in the field across the street. On one such occasion, I walked out in the misty dusk and stood not more than ten yards from several deer. I bet I stood there for ten or fifteen minutes. They didn't seem bothered by my presence at all -- I let them know I was a vegetarian! It was such a communal experience. It felt like I had a glow the rest of the night.

While neither Della nor I have ever seen deer in our front yard, we know they visit the many native plants that have been planted for their enjoyment. Many mornings we can find hoof prints in the bark mulch and they seem particularly fond of our coastal strawberries!

We have yet to see any evidence of mountain lions or black bears, though I know they haunt the hills beyond town. That said, I don't think I'll be too surprised if one night I find a bear visiting the lush green bushes at the northeast corner of the yard. They are bursting with salmonberries and everybody 'round here knows how much bears love 'em.

My only hope is that my cats and those of my neighbors are indoors that night!

2 comments:

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.