Tuesday, June 29, 2010

In the Here and Now

One of the themes that Zhuangzi talks about often is living in the here and now. The past is gone and the future has yet to come. So, about the only time we can comprehend and exercise some control over is the present moment. Of course, there are lots of other philosophers and thinkers who stress this same point too. Personally, I think it's great advice and it's something I've incorporated into my life to a large degree (though I still fret to much about the future).

While I do believe that being ever mindful of the present moment is the way to go if one seeks contentment, I do see one downside to it: If an individual is so focused on the here and now, it can lead to forgetfulness.

I often find that, because I tend to leave the past behind once it has passed, I easily forget what I was focused on several weeks, days, hours or even minutes ago! I was just at the grocery store and, as I headed to the aisle where the yeast is shelved, something else caught my eye. I shifted my focus to the sale on yogurt and, once I was done picking out my favorite varieties, I couldn't remember where I was originally headed. It only dawned on me what I had forgotten once I arrived home and had no yeast!

This led me to realize it's a good thing I am not a politician! In the game of politics, opponents and the media always are searching out what the opposing candidate said to someone long ago, something that doesn't jibe with what he or she is saying now. The aim is to show the candidate speaks out of both sides of their mouth or they are a hypocrite or they simply are a doofus.

I can just imagine an intrepid reporter utilizing this strategy with me.
Reporter: Back in 1984 at a meeting of Taoist Ox Herders you stated that "x and z were not compatible."
Me: Hmm. Interesting.
Reporter: Do you deny making that statement?
Me: I neither deny nor agree that I ever said such a thing.
Reporter: I think you're dodging my question. Did you or did you not say that?
Me: I don't remember. What is passed has passed.
Reporter: Earlier today you said that x and z ARE compatible.
Me: Did I?
Reporter: I was there. We have video of you saying that. Are you now denying it?
Me: No.
Reporter: So, explain to potential voters what has caused you to flip flop on this issue.
Me: Well, if I said that x and z are incompatible in 1984, then I suppose that's the way I saw this issue then. Earlier today I saw it differently.
Reporter: And what caused this change in position?
Me: You'd have to ask the me of 1984 why he held the one perspective and the me of earlier today why he held a different perspective. The me of now doesn't know.
As I wrote above, it's a good thing I'm not a candidate for anything today. You think American politics is screwed up now? What would the voting public think of such an "in this moment" candidate?

1 comment:

  1. Reading that conversation made me smile. You'd have my vote!! =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.