Thursday, June 17, 2010

George Carlin, Taoist Sage 2

In the quote below, I contend that George Carlin's enshrinement in the halls of sagacity is secured. What say you?
I believe I am bigger than the universe, smaller than the universe and equal to it. I'm bigger than the universe because I can picture it, define it in my mind and everything that's in it and contain all that in my mind in a single thought. A thought that's not even the only one in there: it's right between "Shit, my ass itches!" and "Why don't we fuck the waitress?"

That thought, with all the others, is inside the twenty-three-inch circumference of my cranium. So I'm bigger than the universe. I'm smaller than it because that's obvious: I'm five foot nine and 150 pounds and the universe is somewhat taller and heavier. I'm equal to it because every atom in me is the very same as every atom the universe is made of. I'm part of the protogalaxy five billion light years away and of that cigarette butt in Cleveland.

There are no differences, we're equal. Unlike our fake democracy, the democracy of atoms is real.
~ from Last Words, pp. 285-86 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.