Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cold-Blooded Killers

Today, as Della and I drove to Aberdeen, I heard on the radio a report about the deadly storms in the southeast US this past week. While I certainly have sympathy for those who met with misfortune, I was struck by the phraseology contained in the report: An outbreak of tornadoes killed x number of people in Tennessee and Arkansas.

I realize, for some, this might seem like a disagreement over semantics, but a tornado doesn't kill people; people sometimes die as the result of a tornado.

A tornado isn't a being that can form intent. It is more a process that is a combination of a confluence of variables. Tornadoes don't sit up there in the sky and talk strategy with each other. "So, who should we kill today?" says the smallish twister. "I saw a bunch of people sticking their tongues out at some clouds," responds the big cyclone. "I think I'll target them!"

Intent is a human trait. Nature, on the other hand, is impartial.

2 comments:

  1. lol i like your imagery, it made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you shouldn't have laughed. Now the tornadoes will be gunning for you! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.