Saturday, May 1, 2010

Blinders

When I was first diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (a high functioning form of autism) back in November 2008, I must admit it threw me for a loop. I had known all my life that there was something distinctly different about me from most of the rest of the population, but the word autism is scary. For long-time readers, you watched me write about this discovery and to struggle through doubt, increased anxiety and perplexity.

I now accept it more for what it is. I don't obsess on it like I did before. More importantly, I realize what many of you have told me is true: It's just a label! Learning about Asperger's hasn't really changed me; I simply understand my inherent quirkiness in a new light.

When I first started on my self-exploration of autism, I tended to view all my sundry Aspie traits in a negative manner. I've come to realize, though, that each trait can have both positive and negative effects. I simply need to accentuate the positive aspects and try to minimize the negative ones as much as possible.

For example, I seem to have an amazing ability to concentrate on particular things. When I deem a concept, idea, project or task as being important, I can block out all types of distractions. I can work for hours on end until the situation is resolved or my curiosity has been satisfied. In many situations, this represents a very positive plus.

On the other hand, there are times when my obsessive nature can be a huge negative. When I obsess on circumstances that create anxiety, I can easily work myself into a froth over virtually nothing! When I experience bouts of extreme pain -- something that, unfortunately, occurs quite frequently -- I can sit at my computer for hours on end researching some arcane topic.

I did this very thing last night/early this morning. For some odd reason, I started thinking about the old 60s sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies. So, until nearly 5:00 a.m. this morning, I surfed the web to find information about the show itself, watched videos on YouTube, and then read up on all the stars of the series. I followed the very same tack with two other TV sitcoms -- Green Acres and Petticoat Junction -- that were loosely connected to The Beverly Hillbillies.

Needless to say, by the time I finally moved from my chair, I was a lot sorer than when I sat down several hours earlier. I'm also not feeling very chipper today due to lack of sleep. Who would have thunk that!!

1 comment:

  1. Strange Person5/01/2010 11:44:00 PM

    This is a delightfully random post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.