Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Threshold of Pain

I've often been told that one of the reasons anxiety is such a waste of energy is that it can be next too impossible to predict what may or may not happen. An individual may work themselves into a tizzy for no reason at all.

It's a good thing that I kept my worries in check in anticipation of today's doctor visit. To be certain, I was a tad anxious to find out where I stand, but I didn't work myself into my usual fervor.

The good news is that surgery is not imminent, if I don't want it to be. The bad news is that my hip is not in good shape. As I thought, it has deteriorated significantly, but the initial diagnosis of avascular necrosis has been removed from the equation. So, what it comes down to is this: If I want to have a hip replacement now, I've met the medical threshold to have it approved. If I want to wait, that's okay too because, aside from a severe fall or other type of serious injury, general life is not going to injure it to the point of no return.

Put another way, I can keep on going as I have as long as I can live with the pain. When the pain becomes too great, all I have to do is give them a call and, within about 6 weeks, I can have my hip replaced.

Since I've lived with chronic pain all my life, my current thinking is to try to forgo surgery for another 5 to 10 years. If I can make it that long, I stand a much better chance of only needing one hip replacement surgery. If I decided to go the surgery route now, there's an even chance, due to my age, that I might need two such surgeries.

We also talked a bit about my bum right shoulder...well, hypothetically speaking. Because it doesn't include a rotor cuff or tendon tear (just ligament damage), surgery probably wouldn't be in the offing. If I limit use of it and, possibly, undergo physical therapy, there's an even chance it will heal on its own.

On the other hand, the doctor warned me that it might not get better and the searing pain may become permanent. Oh joy! So, I've decided to try to work on this issue with my primary care physician and, if it doesn't respond to treatment, then I guess I'll go back to Centralia for more extensive tests.

All in all, the day went much better than my wife and I expected. It's not imperative that I go under the knife soon. It's basically up to me to decide when I can't take the pain and instability any longer.

For now, I can take it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. And very good news indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear that your problems are essentially manageable. the diagnosis that you just have to live with your pain is a very sucky one but hopefully you can continue to be active and independent and hopefully find some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real hip is more desirable if you can stand the pain. after surgery and doing the "essential physio-therapy" your pain will be no more. an artificial hip means you can't go out and run a mile a day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.