Wednesday, February 10, 2010

For Granted

It's often pointed out that we don't realize the value of something or someone until it's gone -- we take so much for granted. Over the past week, I now realize how much I took my teeth for granted!! I never thought about them that much. My teeth were simply there.

Now that they no longer exist, I realize how integral they were to my routine way of life.

For example, I've always been a fingernail biter! Yes, I know it's not one of the best traits a person can possess, but... There have been many times over the past 8 days when I have stuck a finger in my mouth to nibble on a cuticle only to remember that my nibblers are gone!

As I have previously reported, I'm basically on a liquid diet. About the only things I "chew" are oatmeal and applesauce. I am able to manage this predicament because I realize it's temporary, but I was thinking tonight, "What if this was permanent? How would I cope?"

I realize the answer is simple: We each learn to cope with the reality of our lives as best we can! Life is all about change -- gaining and losing. If I found I could no longer chew ever again, my life wouldn't stop. I would adapt.

More importantly, this episode in my life serves as a reminder not to take other facets of the current me for granted. While I am hobbled by arthritis and fibromyalgia, I'm still ambulatory. So, I need to recognize this capability and cherish it until that day when, and if, it goes away.

In fact, setbacks should remind each of us of how precious this thing called life is. This is not to suggest that we should dread what comes after this life; it more suggests we should celebrate each day for what it is.

Yipee -- I mean it!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It doesn't sound like fun.

    You just made me realize how little I value my life. Maybe it is that I haven't completely shaken off the evangelical Christian idea that this life is worth nothing.

    My thought wasn't, "how precious this life is." My thought was "thank goodness for euthanasia."

    And I was thinking of me not you. I wasn't for one second suggesting you should pull the plug, no. Life lovers need to stick around. We need positive people to help us see the bright side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is difficult to shake the evangelical worldview. It so permeates your being that your life isn't worth much. Keep trying to shake it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all only temporarily able-bodied. When asked what is the nature of man, Buddha replied...'it is the nature of man to grow old, get sick and die'.

    This is not to be taken morbidly, but to teach us to treasue what we have and be grateful for all that we do have...for it is like a dewdrop sitting on a blade of grass.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.