Friday, February 19, 2010

A Birthday

My mother was born on this date in 1934 -- that would make today her 76th birthday. But there will be no cards, presents, balloons or parties. There will be no warm hugs nor kisses.

My mother died of cancer in 1992. She never even saw her 60th birthday.

Since I don't believe in life after death nor eternal souls, there is no one for me to sing Happy Birthday to. I suppose, if I want to be truly maudlin, I could go downstairs and sing to some of her ashes that I keep in a mason jar on my hutch. I don't plan on doing that though.

For me, it's just important to remember the date. In this small way, I can remember my dear mother and the great impact she had on my life. Not only did she birth me, but a good deal of the man I am today is owed to her.

4 comments:

  1. HI R T

    I am sorry to hear that your Mom died so young. :-( And I like that you remember her life this day - my sister lost her son 7 years ago he was 32, and today is his birthday as well - he would have been 39. SO here's to your Mom's birth and life and to Clayton's birth and life. !!!!

    Love you
    Gail
    peace......

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mind's eye, immortality occurs when the living remember the dead. So my mom and Clayton live on through those who loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "In my mind's eye, immortality occurs when the living remember the dead." well said indeed. When my grandfather died in 1987, weeks shy of his 70th, my father told me that for as long as either of us lived, so would grandpa. Very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wish that your mom should have been alive to see her son's wonderful contribution for the wellbeing of people like us.

    What you are today is solely because of the grace your mom is showering on you.
    "PRAY CONINUE,MAY YOUR TRIBE INCREASE"

    dilip

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.