Saturday, February 20, 2010

159 - Voices

Writers write because they must: They need to express something from deep within themselves. They hear voices that others do not. They listen urgently, and they must communicate what they hear.
~ from 365 Tao: Daily Meditations, Entry 159 ~
When I first became disabled, I was at a loss for what I would do with my time and how I could continue to be a productive member of society. So much of our adult lives is focused around work that to be a non-worker often means a loss of self-identity.

For the first year or two, I just sort of stumbled around. I dealt with some bouts of depression. I started seeing a mental health therapist. I lay awake at night staring at the ceiling and asked myself over and over again: What is your purpose in life now?

In time, I came to realize that I have a gift that I was under utilizing -- my writing. So, I began to treat this blog in a more serious and disciplined manner. With the exception for those times I'm physically ill or recovering from a medical procedure, I post one or more entries on this blog everyday.

I also realized that, by not working, I have the opportunity to do something that most people have too little time for -- deep thought.

Most people of my age and younger are consummate jugglers. Their lives demand that they must scurry about between job[s], partners, children and social interactions. They hardly have enough time to catch their breath. Since I don't work nor have any children and shun most social interaction, I'm like a juggler working with only one or two balls. :>)

So, I have committed my time to deep thought (listening to the voices only I can hear) and sharing with you what I can discern from those voices through my writings on this blog. In essence, I don't write simply because I want to -- I HAVE to.

It is my purpose.

4 comments:

  1. It is an honorable purpose.
    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.
    " ~ Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

    I used to have time to, but these days I barely even have time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you are right writers listen voices which others doesnot, They communicate with these voices..
    Thanks for the post....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate.

    My current day-job does not give me the opportunity to really write (mostly I help engineers make their thoughts coherent, hardly writing from the heart). Blogging and commenting fulfills that need to express myself (I have been a professional reporter and columnist). My partner thinks I should get paid for it (or else I am wasting my time)...that doesn't really matter to me. As long as I have a reader, that's enough (although a nice advance on novel wouldn't be a BAD thing!)
    ----
    I have aways loved that quote of Red Smith's that Thurman cited.
    ----
    The only honest writing is from the voice that only you hear, the things only you know. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.