Sunday, January 17, 2010

Wen Tzu - Verse 121, Part III

from Verse One Hundred Twenty-One
Good leaders in ancient times took their example from the rivers and oceans. Rivers and oceans do nothing to become so huge; it is by hollowness and lowliness that they become so vast. This is why they can last. Being valleys of the world, their qualities are full; because they do nothing, they can take in a hundred rivers. They are able to gain because they do not seek, and they are able to arrive because they do not go.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
I live where I live -- the southwest Washington coast -- because the imagery of water speaks to my depths. When my wife and I were first married, we lived in the Midwest (Missouri, Arkansas & Kansas). After about 6 years of marriage, we made it about as far west as eastern Oregon. Next it was Salem, Oregon. Finally, in 2005, we made it to the coast!

My most favorite activity bar none is to walk on a lonely beach in a foggy mist mesmerized by the waves. I don't think; I don't not think. I simply allow the roar of the surf to permeate my being. I simply allow the motion of the waves to carrying me beyond my self.

Because of my arthritis, I don't tend to walk very far for very long. Drop me into a busy city and I'm usually hobbling within 10 minutes. But I can walk on a desolate beach forever. I lose track of time and distance. When I'm finished, I pay the price in pain and stiffness, but while I'm walking on the wet sand shrouded by fog, I'm oblivious.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

6 comments:

  1. You don't find Arkansas to be southern?

    I share your favourite activity, incidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are we, sharing a brain today. I just finished writing about "Arthur" and here you are doing the same.

    I too love a quiet lonely beach, unfortunately I haven't seen one in many years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CB,
    NORTHERN Arkansas.

    Thurman,
    Arthur? Arthur who?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whether it is cloudy or sunny, the beach is my most favorite place to be. But I currently live in Arizona, which is like a great beach without a sea. I love the water, listening to the waves, walking along the beach, looking for treasures washed up along the shore. Much fun. One of these days soon (be it months or years from now) I will be along the coast of a great sea, and posting pictures of my travels on my blog for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cym: you really must cross the border and visit San Carlos, Sonora.
    The Sonoran Desert meets the ocean in the Gulf of California, or Sea of Cortez.
    There is the world's most beguiling mountain. Endless beaches to the north. Truly amazing for anything existing right here on our home planet.
    I would spend the rest of my days there, if there were trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crow: Oh I plan on it. Looks like an amazing place. I just don't have the money right now, but I'll get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.