Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wen Tzu - Verse 110, Part IV

from Verse One Hundred Ten
People who have attained the Way change outwardly but do not change inwardly. Outward change is the means by which they know other people; inwardly not changing is the means by which they preserve themselves.

Therefore if you have stable inner control while able to contract and expand outwardly, moving along with things, then you can avoid failure in all your undertakings.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
This is one of the parts of Taoist philosophy I have the most trouble with. As a person with Asperger's who is bereft of the capability of reading other people, my inward and outward ways aren't all that different. With me, what you see basically is what you get!!

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that I don't understand the thrust of Lao Tzu's message -- I do -- it's more a case that I don't have the innate ability to put his charge into action.

This returns me again to the idea of not fighting one's own nature. While it certainly would prove beneficial if I had a clue as to other people's inferences, intentions and behavior, it's something that, by and large, is beyond the neurological functioning of my brain. So, instead of crying over capabilities I lack, it makes far more sense to work to accentuate those aspects of my personality that are more conducive to Taoist philosophy.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

3 comments:

  1. Taoist scholar Livia Kohn says there are three types of Taoism/Taoists: literati, cultivators, and religious. People may fit in more than one category, but I have come to understand you are of the literati kind (which you call "philosophical"), interested in the texts, commentary, and socio-political stuff. (I tend to the cultivation, so to speak, with a little religiousness thrown in...but also enjoy the writings, otherwise I wouldn't visit your blog.) You know, we're all okay! (Although I think you understand people better than you say you do.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, what a great post!

    First, not being able to read other people's intentions or moods is part of Asperger's? Oh my gosh, my husband may be a classic case. Too bad you couldn't meet him.

    Second, I love that part about not fighting one's nature--love it. I became religious and left religion on a quest to change who I am, while all along I could just have embraced who I was, faults and all.

    Third, the Tao verse seems a bit strange, since most people believe that change is inward and that outward behaviour only reveals what's inside.

    But, my interpretation of it is that what we need to change is how we express our truth--kindly and tactfully--not our truth. Seen that way, it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite so, but I fancy in Lao Tzu's day, people generally were not so deviod of a clue as they have become in recent times.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.