Sunday, January 10, 2010

Not Knowing

A perfect man of Tao does not know himself; you know, because you are ill. Ego is illness, a substantial illness, because you continuously have to remember that you are somebody. This shows that you are deep into "dis-ease". Dis-ease creates the ego; a perfectly healthy natural being forgets completely. He is like a cloud, like a breeze, like a rock, like a tree, like a bird -- but never like a man. He is not, because only illness, like a wound, has to be remembered.
~ When the Shoe Fits: Commentaries on the Stories of the Taoist Mystic Chuang Tzu ~
I think this book will help me climb into the mind of Chuang Tzu. The above passage really speaks to me, but not in a way yet that I'm able to explain through word and thought. I need to meditate on the imagery a bit more.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. It's tough to explain.
    When I decided to become honest, it felt like an illness, or burden, had fallen away.
    Nothing to remember, save what was real and true.
    That's not all the story, but certainly part of it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.