Friday, January 8, 2010

A New "Comment" Policy

Below you can see what I wrote on 1/8. After meditating on this issue for awhile, I realized I was throwing the baby out with the bathwater! What I wanted to accomplish was to move away from sometimes being contentious or argumentative in my responses. So, my initial plan simply was to not respond at all.

But that's a silly way to deal with the problem, don't you think? So, instead of not responding at all, I'm going to try not to be contentious or argumentative. Let's see how well I do!!
Updated on 1/13/10

**************************************************************************

While your comments on this blog will remain unmoderated as ever, I'm going to try to institute a new policy in regards to my responses to said comments. Simply put, I plan to stay out of that section as much as possible.

Since I solely write the text on this blog -- with the rare exception of Guest Columns -- I get to have my say whenever I want. I feel that there needs to be a space reserved for all of you and that space is the comments section.

One of the reasons for this change in operation is that, like most people I know, I can be a bit defensive when someone leaves a comment that disagrees with a point I've made or one that harangues me for my point of view. As one of the principles of philosophical Taoism posits, truth is something that each person must find for themselves. So your truth or opinion and my truth or opinion don't need to match.

Further, Chuang Tzu puts forth the point that no one can come to Tao through rational thought or argument. So, what purpose am I serving in agreeing or disagreeing with any of you? I'm just feeding my ego.

While I will not respond very often in YOUR comments section, please know that I read every single comment. In fact, I read every single one of them several times -- one of my Asperger's traits!!

4 comments:

  1. HI R T

    Okay. Yup. I understand although I did enjoy the feedback or better said, acknowledgment. :-) How ego driven is that?? :-)

    Love you
    Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously like this approach.
    Non-doing is at least as important as doing.
    White Man earn repect bigtime.
    ...bows low to White Man...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *respect*
    ...hates it when he does that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've enjoyed the dialogue (which you don't always get with a Chinese teacher), and have made a few other contacts in the community you have created as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.