Wednesday, January 20, 2010

365 Tao

As you may have noticed, I've slowly begun to add another series of posts regarding the book, 365 Tao: Daily Meditations by Deng Ming-Dao. I need to give a shout out to Donna of Changing Places for recommending the book!

It is laid out by offering 365 daily meditations. Each day's entry begins with a poem or verse which is then followed by a brief discussion. By and large, my posts will feature a snippet of the discussion, not the poem or verse.

In my most of the books I utilize as a starting point for a blog entry, I should point out that I rarely include all the text from a verse or section. The reason for this is threefold:
  1. I want you to read the book in its entirety for yourself.
  2. The whole section may be too long and I try to keep my posts within a certain parameter regarding size. Most of us are busy people who simply don't have the time nor interest in reading long tomes or diatribes.
  3. I generally write about what jumps out and inspires me.
This series will be an irregular one. It will be interspersed with all sort of blog entries. Some weeks you may see a lot of them and some weeks you may see few, if any. This is not to suggest that I'm using this book as Taoist filler; it's more that I read it in spurts. And, as with most of the series I pen, I write about what I just read (no reading ahead). :>)

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy -- it pretty much totally changed my life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly envy your ability to write as you read. Most of my books are from the library and I'll want to write about something I read but lose the page when there is time to write.

    Looking forward to the new series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read his other book. More of a novel based on the journeys of a Taoist who underwent lots of incredible tests, training and ended up in the US (I may have the story messed up as I read it so long ago)

    As I remember it, the book you are about to serialize is a later written accompaniment to the book I read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading this every day, usually in the moring when I get up, since it was published, about 15 years ago, in the scheduled cyclical way it recommends. Each year it has becomes more meaningful, especially after some very specific Taoist training which opened up some of the more esoteric meanings. Another of his books, "Everyday TAO," is similar and also inspiring. Deng Ming Dao is really great.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.