Monday, December 7, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 57

from Verse Fifty-Seven
Sanity and perversity hurt each other, desire and essence harm each other. They cannot stand together; when one rises, the other passes away. Therefore sages reduce desire to follow essence.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
Abraham Lincoln stated much the same thing when he said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

For so many of us, we seem to be in a constant state of war with ourselves. Different aspects of our being pull us in different directions simultaneously. It's like an internal tug of war: the selfish versus the selfless and, too often, the former wins.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

2 comments:

  1. I like myself.
    I don't like myself.

    I decided, way back, to be what I admired. To become admirable in my own eyes. To do nothing, and be nothing, that I did not like.

    Wish not to be like the master.
    Be the master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Master Yoda said much the same thing. Don't try; do.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.