Sunday, December 6, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 54, Part II

from Verse Fifty-Four
Personality and the Way are not both illustrious at the same time: if people are in love with reputation, they do not use the Way; when the Way overcomes personality, then fame stops. When the Way stops and display is made of personality and fame, then there is danger and destruction.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
In a word, what I believe the above passage is speaking to is the concept of selflessness. Of course, we can't truly remove our selves from the equation of our lives. The self is an inherent part of our physical, emotional and mental makeup.

If we can't truly remove it, then what is Lao Tzu's point? For me, I think what he's getting at is that we can learn to put our ego-infused sense of self on the back burner and to open our eyes to behold the mysteries of life.

As I stated in the previous post, when our vision is focused too narrowly on satisfying our own desires, there is so much in front of us that we are unable to see. This same point is made by the old saw -- one can't see the forest for the trees.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

2 comments:

  1. I was a musician for many years.
    Although I didn't realize it then, I was doing it solely to gain the adulation of others.
    I became very good at it. But one can never become good enough to overcome the deficit that results from attending only to the ego.
    My excellent music was missing the very ingredient that makes music excellent: honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overcoming the self is when you stop being Tao-ist, and become Tao.

    Not that I've done it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.