Friday, December 4, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 52, Part I

from Verse Fifty-Two
Don't pursue actions that can be repudiated, but don't resent it if people repudiate you. Cultivate virtues worthy of praise, but don't expect people to praise you.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
So easy to write, yet so difficult to do!!

If any of us stop to consider what we say or do in any given moment, most of the time it has something to do with the desire for positive feedback or the avoidance of negative comments. Our egos constantly need to hear -- from others and ourselves -- what a great guy or gal we are. So, we say and do to try to foster that very thing.

One of the problems we run into time and time again is that we never know how anyone, including ourselves, will react. Sometimes the reaction is exactly what we were counting on, but just as often, it is nowhere near what we expected. We can go out of our way to seek praise, yet all we receive for the effort is condemnation.

It is when we lead lives of thought and action based on what we hope to gain that we lose our way. Rather than being genuine, we become contrived individuals, always scheming to try to force the reactions we desire.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

4 comments:

  1. So true...:>(( Once I was sick and went to school for job retraining. I found myself re-employed in my old profession but in a healthier and more "green" fashion. I was offered the Plant Manager job several times over but declined because I knew that it would exact a toll on my practice. I did find my way into the position and my status and wealth grew. Soon, I found myself scrambling to justify my decisions and protect my position.
    What a way to deflate a spiritual practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice commentary, and I'm not saying that to praise you.

    I appreciate this "salon de Tao" you have established. Thanks for tolerating my participation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very appropriate for me just now as I'm contemplating a new endeavor that I could easily see myself suppressing the "genuine" me in favor of the "expected" me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tao1776,
    We each need money to survive in this world. It's hard to turn down good paying work, but, as you aptly point out, it often takes a mighty toll.

    Baroness,
    Tolerate? I welcome your participation with open arms!

    Thurman,
    It's often difficult to figure out the genuine from the expected. Good for you that you see the difference! I generally can tell the difference too, but not always. :(

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.