Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 47, Part I

from Verse Forty-Seven
The fact is that people who like running things never fail to be affected by them; those who compete for profit are inevitable exhausted.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
The above passage reminds me of a famous saying, "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." (from Lord Action)

Every situation or circumstance exerts an effect. These effects can be short or long-term. When an effect is reinforced over and over again, it has a tendency to change a person's fundamental thoughts and behaviors. This is why absolute power corrupts; when there is no one to tell you "No!", you lose perspective and you veer far from the Way.

In this same vein, if the pursuit of profit is your primary goal, then you will stop at nothing in your attempts to attain it. It is just as corrupting as power. In both cases, the great evil is loss of perspective. When we lose the ability to stay in balance, we bring hardship, tension and unneeded stress into our lives.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, RT, you know I'm a copy editor (and always looking for a client...in pursuit of profit).

    I think you mean Lord Acton, though I kind of like the idea of Lord Action. Cuts quite a figure...

    And I think you mean "exert effects",(something like results or consequences) not affects. Although in the quote, affected is correct...it is a verb. Affect is hardly ever a noun(sort of related to affectation). If you do mean affect, and maybe you do, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about consequences being reinforced over and over, or emotions or desires?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baroness,
    Even worse, I have a degree in Journalism!

    Yes, I inadvertently added an "i" to Lord Acton's name and I meant "effect," not "affect". I will go back and change it for those who read it in the future. I tend to stumble on the correct usage of those two words often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then you will agree wilth me that spell chekcers, while convenient, as not always helpful! Everyone still needs an editor. Even me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just proved my point! I spell well, but I'm a terrible typist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spelchekkers are both my savyer and my bain. They due, in fact, cach my mispelings (most of the time), but they dont help at awl whin i yuse an incorect word that iz speld corectlie. :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.