Wednesday, December 9, 2009

These Dreams

A dream is always to complete something: something which has remained incomplete in the day will be completed in a dream because the mind has a tendency to complete everything. If it is not complete then the mind will always be uneasy. Effort is put into many things and if they remain incomplete, a dream is needed. Where there is desire, there is bound to be dreaming, because desiring is dreaming -- dreaming is just a shadow of desiring.
~ from When the Shoe Fits: Commentaries on the Stories of the Taoist Mystic Chuang Tzu ~
I daydream when I'm awake just like anybody else, but I no longer dream when I'm asleep. So, while I find the passage above to be intriguing, I'm not sure what I think about it. How about you? If you dream while sleeping, what do you think of Osho's point?



P.S. The dsl is out around here. So, I'm using dial-up. I forgot just how slow dial-up is! Maybe it's all just a bad dream? :(

7 comments:

  1. Trey have you noticed just how often you assume everyone agrees/is-like the things you mention?
    I daydream not at all, although I agree that many people do.
    One daydreams when one is not completely present. I pay minute attention to each moment.
    I dream at night sometimes.
    Those dreams may be very lucid indeed.
    I met my wife because I acted upon a dream. I physically placed myself in the dreamed location - half a world away - to meet the woman I had dreamed about: and there she was.
    It is sometimes possible to see what has not yet happened.
    Dreaming may be sometimes about desire. But not always.

    Haha :) My verification word is: "eatme".
    Oops: it wasn't "eatme", it must have been "eatrne".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great song BTW.
    One of my old favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trey have you noticed just how often you assume everyone agrees/is-like the things you mention?

    I don't understand this comment. I didn't write "like everybody," I wrote "like anybody". To me, there's a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i daydream a ton and i dream at night... a ton. last night i took some sleeping pills because i was too in pain to fall asleep normally and i ended up dreaming without being able to fall asleep! sometimes i even act out in my sleep and don't remember a thing the next morning. so, in other words, dreams are a big part of my life, but i don't think dreams have a single purpose. instead i think they serve many purposes, one of which you described. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you know you're not dreaming? Just because you don't remember it, doesn't mean you're not dreaming. One remembers dreams because one awakens during an REM period. Or are you saying this dreamlessness is part of your condition?

    And I'm not sure wakeful daydreaming has anything in common with sleep dreaming. Daydreaming is fantasies, memories, visualization, the wakeful mind on a little holiday, maybe a bit like meditation. Sleep dreaming seems to me like the brain is working quite on its own on something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baroness,
    I no longer reach deep sleep anymore. Heck, I rarely sleep more than 2 - 4 hours at a time and, even when I do, I'm as tired when I wake up as before I went to sleep. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crow,
    On reflection, my initial response to you was defensive. Your criticism is constructive and I'm sure you're correct. I'll try to watch my wording more closely in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.