Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The "Gift" of Tao

I know that many of you will be celebrating one of the many religious and/or secular holidays in December. Frequently, part of the celebration process involves the giving of gifts. Might I suggest you consider giving a colleague, friend or family member the gift of Tao?

On my right sidebar, I feature numerous links to Taoist texts and books on Taoist themes. Many of the links go to Amazon.com. Others are free internet resources. Of course, there are numerous other booksellers to choose from by performing a quick search on the internet or simply by visiting your favorite bookstores in your own community.

As we live in a time in which many people feel alienated and depressed at the overall state of the world, while many others are searching for the ever-elusive "meaning of life," a gift of Taoist reading material could well provide such folks with a new and fresh perspective. I'm certainly NOT suggesting that a copy of the Tao Te Ching, Wen Tzu or Chuang Tzu will guarantee a life altering experience -- though some of us might make that claim for ourselves -- but it could!

I'd like to say that Tao will be indebted to you, but, as you know, it really doesn't care. ;-)

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking about "The Tao of Poo" for my parents, but; I've never read it so don't know for sure it is good, and I don't want to appear pushy, I'd rather they took to Tao than felt it was put on them..

    Comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The T of P is a good introductory book, in my opinion. If one or both of them read it, then they could decide if they wished to pursue more study on the topic...maybe with some recommendations from their son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a Tao of Poo? I know the Tao of Pooh. But poo? Much going with the flow, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And let us not leave out the Tao of Pee either. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also recommend The Tao of Pooh and also The Te of Piglet. I've read them both many many times and am doing my own series of what T of P means to me much like the Wen Tzu series here.

    The only problem I have ever had with the books is that the author often gets off topic, seems a little unorganized with his thoughts, and is definitely using these books for a platform for his own personal politics. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

    There's no such thing as bad publicity right?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.