Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 8, Part II

Nothing in the world is softer than water. The way of water is infinitely wide and incalculably deep, it extends indefinitely and flows boundlessly far. Increase and decrease pass without reckoning. Up in the sky it turns into rain and dew; down in the earth it turns into moisture and wetlands.
Water never dies. It exists in a perpetual cycle. When it leaves one area, it changes form and finds its way to a new place. The cycle begins anew.
Beings cannot live without it, works cannot be accomplished without it. It embraces all life without personal preferences. Its moisture reaches even to creeping things, and it does not seek reward. Its wealth enriches the whole world, without being exhausted. Its virtues are disbursed to the farmers, without being wasted.
Water has no emotions nor ego, so it provides for all. I can abuse it, misuse it or curse it. It doesn't care. It returns to quench my thirst again and again and again.
No end to its action can be found. Its subtlety cannot be grasped. Strike it, and it is not damaged; pierce it, and it is not wounded; slash it, and it is not cut; burn it, and it does not smoke. Soft and fluid, it cannot be dispersed.
Since every droplet of water comes from the same source that I do, why do I fight the currents in my life and not flow like a river to the ocean?
It is penetrating enough to bore through metal and stone, strong enough to submerge the whole world. Whether there is excess or lack, it lets the world take and give. It is bestowed upon all beings without order of precedence, neither private nor public, it is continuous with heaven and earth. This is called supreme virtue.
I say I want to live a life that embraces Tao, but I don't know how. I say there is no one to take my hand to guide me. I say my eyes are wide open -- but they must be shut.

The guide I long for is all around me. It's in every breath of every moment. It's the wisp of wind or the morning dew. Its hand is extended, calling me home. Will I embrace it?

All selections from verse 8 of Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

2 comments:

  1. hmm! far more detail than the same point made in the TTC, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I so appreciate you turning me on to Wen Tzu. It plumbs much deeper than the TTC.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.