Thursday, November 12, 2009

Bot's It All About?

Maybe one or more of you enterprising souls can help me better understand the googlebot. I think I understand the basics. The bot travels around the web collecting data from websites and then hands it over to the indexer.

In bygone days, I could expect to be paid a visit from the googlebot about once every week or two. Over the last few months, this has changed dramatically. Now, the bot seems to visit this blog several times per day and, many times, it visits the same page 2 or 3 times. Often, these multiple visits are to older posts that haven't been updated. What gives?

I should also note that I'm sure this is a bona fide googlebot because I've performed some IP look-ups and each query indicates it is indeed originating from google.com in Mountain View, California.

So, is it a good or beneficial thing that the bot is visiting this blog more often?

3 comments:

  1. Hm, I used to get quite a few googlebot visitors and never even wondered what it was about. Then the googlebot visitors stopped, and I figured someone who worked at googlebot just quit reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a great nerd joke about the googlebot. You'll be taking your shower and all the sudden the googlebot pops up and says, "Hi, I'm googlebot! I'm here to inventory your shower!"

    Yeah, that's where we're headed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably just a sign that you are getting more links to your blog.
    In other words, it's a good thing.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.