Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Quote

One popular blogging strategy is to feature one or more quotes as the basis for a post. (I use this device quite frequently!) However, I've noticed a trend lately that I'm not altogether that pleased with. I visit a lot of blogs that feature a quote and nothing else. That's the entire post!

The whole point of a [public] personal blog is to share something of yourself with anyone who might happen by. When a quote is the whole shebang for the day's entry, I'm often left scratching my head.

The main question that comes to mind is why the particular quote[s] was selected. Does it resonate with you? If so, why? Is it posted to spur deep contemplation or because you feel it's controversial or outside the norm? Is it something you live by or do you simply find it interesting?

When no discussion, commentary or analysis is offered, there is no way for me to discern an answer. I have to guess and who knows if I'm guessing rightly or wrongly?

To be quite frank, if an entire post is a quote and nothing else, I usually skip it. I check the next post in my feed reader or I check out the next blog. If you habitually feature other people's thoughts and words without including some of your own, I won't follow your blog on a daily basis.

Maybe others feel differently.

6 comments:

  1. I feel differently.

    I've been doing this lately (perhaps you noticed), although I certainly don't want to make a habit of it. But sometimes I think that if I add any commentary of my own, that will weaken the impact of the quoted material. I mean for the quoted material to stand on its own, me being simply the conduit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do see your point though. Sometimes I do this when I'm feeling lazy and have nothing worthwhile to add to the quote. Later on, I'll end up writing a lengthy essay incorporating that quote and several others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the same feeling visiting a blog where they just post a youtube clip, no commentary, no synopsis, no watch this because..

    And I can't be bothered with youtube clips most of the time unless they are a rare gem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. River,
    I suppose that's what makes each of us unique. We each have our own pet peeves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I do not enter just a quote often, if it happens, then it is something that I see as powerful enough to stand on its own without my thoughts to taint it. It's sharing and allowing another to draw their own conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well "Less is More", perhaps that's why a quote is a quote.

    While some people need an 'explanation/translation' of a particular quote, some other don't and either way is perfectly fine. Sometimes when everything is already said, to dissect the obvious is redundant, but that's up to the owner and what she/he does with her/his personal blog.

    There are writers and readers for each level of comprehension. That's the good thing about our little and chaotic world.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.