Friday, October 16, 2009

Let's Get Down 'N Dirty

[Note: Please imagine the title above being spoken by the late George Carlin. That's whose voice I heard when I keyed it in.]

In my last post, the one which dealt with Verse 69 of the HHC, I shied away from providing any kind of in-depth analysis of the overtly sexual text. I have no problems whatsoever in addressing the topic of sexuality -- it's part of who we are -- but this blog's purpose is not to titillate you, but to encourage you think about our world and the topics of life and existence from a philosophical Taoist perspective.

Now, there is no question that sexuality is part of this life. It can go a long way toward providing each of us with physical and emotional connections with other beings, though hopefully NOT other animals besides humans. (Did you know that syphilis came about because of human sexual interactions with sheep?)

However, I would argue that sexual expression is not as important as things like breathing, eating food and consuming water, and general social connections. While each of us would die due to a lack of air, water or nutrients, none of us will die due to a lack of foreplay, intercourse or masturbation. At some junctures in our lives, it might seem that a lack of sexual activity will kill us or drive us mad, but it probably won't do either.

If my twenty something self had known that I would write the above words in my 50s, I would have laughed heartily out loud. Like many males, I too often thought and addressed life through my libido. The very thought of living a life without the opportunity for ongoing sexual experiences struck me as a life not worth living.

However, as I've aged, sex just isn't THAT important anymore. Look, I'm not suggesting that I don't enjoy some intimacy with my wife from time to time, but, if for some reason this becomes an impossibility, I won't lose much sleep over it. I'm not suggesting that every person of my age feels this way; this simply is the way I feel. (I also realize that my perspective most likely is shaped by my many physical issues and some aspects of my Asperger's.)

From time to time, I'm certain the issue of sexuality will be raised here (sorry for the unintentional pun). However, when it is broached, it will be done so in a philosophical manner.

If you are hoping that I will pen posts concerning how to maintain a long-lasting erection, ten ways to achieve more satisfying orgasms or graphic photos/instructions on novel sexual positions, you will be highly frustrated! There are literally tens of thousands of websites and blogs that deal with these subject matters and I strongly encourage to visit them, if that's what winds your watch.

Aside from an occasional tongue-in-cheek title, you won't find anything of that nature here -- now OR in the future.

5 comments:

  1. "...ten ways to achieve more satisfying organisms..."

    Actually, sex is required by the universe for precisely that reason!!! (Sorry, toungue-in-cheek copy-editor humor.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! I gotta change that to the correct word!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol baroness. :) actually i find sex to be a profoundly spiritual and yes even philosophical experience. so bring on the discourse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iktomi,
    Of course, discourse and intercourse can mean the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'human sexual interactions with sheep'...

    EWWWWW!!!!!!. My mind is forever scarred. Ew!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.