Monday, October 5, 2009

A Different Sort of Twittering

When I awoke just now, I could hear the fanciful twittering of a multitude of birds in the forest behind my house. They seem to be everywhere, flitting from tree to tree. Some are singing. Some are squawking. Some are jabbering. Some are doing all three and more.

The birds around here seem to have a different sound each autumn than they do at any other time. So here's my question: Do they really sound different or is it that I am listening differently? Hmm.

3 comments:

  1. I'm hearing them more here in SoCal as the weather cools off this week. I think the bug supply is getting scarcer so there's more fighting going on. They seem to really want me to go out and fill up their feeder. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    That's a really good observation there. The bug supply is a lot less here too because of the much colder nights. Sounds like you're on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this growing up in Vermont about this time of year. What happened was that, due to migrations, the distribution of the songbirds was changing, and the different birds led to different songs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.