Friday, September 4, 2009

Twitter and Out

Today I was thinking that it's a good thing that Twitter hasn't been around that long. Can you imagine the havoc it could have wreaked on American history? Some of our greatest speeches have been long and inspiring. People have stood in the heat, cold and adverse weather to hear great thoughts that have gone down in history.

But what if the divine power or, maybe, the guy in charge of the sound system had been a Twitterhead? In that case, the grand speaker would have been cut off at 140 characters and we would never have heard the key words and phrases that we remember to this day.

For example, let's imagine that Abraham Lincoln would have been whisked off the podium after delivering the first 140 characters of the Gettysburg Address. Here's what those in attendance would have heard.
Four score & seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created…
Created what?

Here are a few more memorable speeches of American history. See if you can figure out who said it and what the occasion was. (Each "Tweet" is in a different color.)
I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation. Five score years ago, a great…

Good evening: This is the 37th time I have spoken to you from this office, where so many decisions have been made that shape the history of this nation. Each time I have done...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd planned to speak to you tonight to report on the state of the Union, but the events of earlier today have led me to change those plans. Today is a…

Good evening, my fellow Americans: Tonight I want to speak to you of peace in Vietnam and Southeast Asia. No other question so preoccupies our people. No other dream so...

I am proud to come to this city as the guest of your distinguished Mayor, who has symbolized throughout the world the fighting spirit of West Berlin. And I am proud -- And I...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.