Thursday, September 3, 2009

Comings and Goings

Blogs are like anything else in life: They are born, live and then get deleted! Over the past month or so, two of my favorite blogs -- Forest Wisdom and Bruce Droppings -- have simply vanished into the virtual mist. In fact, the Bruce of Bruce Droppings just dropped his blog yesterday. I will miss my routine visits at both of them.

Another of my favorite blogs --greenInk -- has been dormant for over one year. It's still intact out there in the blogosphere; at least, last time I checked. Mr. Sage's Philosphical Taoist Page also disappeared, but I found its wayback page and it's still sitting over there as a link in the right sidebar.

Every time I start lamenting about the blogs I miss, I discover new gems which I will continue to feature on this blog periodically in the "New Voices Along the Path" series.

Just like with people we meet face-to-face along the way, it's important to embrace and enjoy our favorite blogs each time we stop by for a visit. We never know when they will cease to be and ya don't want to realize how much you respect or cherish the connection until that day it's gone.

6 comments:

  1. What does it mean when a link has an asterisk next to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss Bruce's blog. It was a daily read, sometimes two or three times a day. :-)

    I left my blog as well to start a new one. Sometimes I just need a change.

    I've been reading your blog long before you'd ever know it or before I ever added you to my blogroll. I'm a quiet reader though. Rarely comment but I've always enjoyed your writing. Food for thought. So, in case either you or I vanish without a trace, thank you for being you and sharing your thoughts with the world.

    ~ Zoe ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo your words. Bloggers need to be encouraged. If we don't have a readership, there is no motivation to write.

    Many folk read blogs for years and never leave a comment, then are sorry when the blog closes.

    Blog writers don't ask for money--at least not the majority--but we need to know we are being read.

    So, if you enjoy a blog, offer your support by saying something after you've read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I want to comment, but I feel that I'm intruding.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.