Thursday, September 3, 2009

Comfort Food

Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite comfort food? For years, mine was almost anything with peanut butter on or in it. In my youth, my answer would have been peanut butter/chocolate ice cream.

These days, however, my number one comfort food/snack is healthy and I generally consume it twice daily. It's...drum roll, please...a bagel. I love bagels, particularly those with sesame seeds. They are very low in bad fats and don't constitute that many calories.

Of course, I DO add a fat component to my twice daily ritual, but it's really beneficial fat! My favorite way to prepare my sesame bagel is to split it in half and pop it in the toaster. Once it becomes a golden brown, I drizzle virgin olive oil and granulated garlic all over it. I savor each bite. (I'm thinking about how much I'd like a bagel right now, but we're out of 'em! Waahhh!)

So, what about you?

8 comments:

  1. my comfort foods go in phases. it used to be i couldn't go a day without a cup of hot cocoa in the morning... summer or winter...

    now, i also seem to enjoy bagels, but i am addicted to the less healthy kind. :P sara lee cinnamon raisen bagels toasted with peanut butter... mmmm, it especially makes a nice breakfast.

    that said, i, like any self respecting woman, tend to also hit the ice cream and chocolate when i've had a rough day... a habit i'm trying to break now that i'm not pregnant and can use the pregnancy as an excuse to indulge... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kill-myself foods: coffee, peanut butter AND butter sandwich, an inch thick. butter croissants.

    char kwei tiao and chai tao guei (dark fried noodles and fried carrot cake)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When sick, chicken noodle soup, of course. When craving carbs, depends on sweet or salty. Lately it's Trader Joes' whole grain honey pretzels. Also love garlic butter popcorn. If I need sweet it's chocolate or chocolate chip cookies. If I need fatty stuff lately it's Klondike bars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iktomi,
    Mmm. Cocoa. On cold winter days, I love a hot mug of chocolate Ovaltine. I like ice cream too, but it has too much saturated fat. So these days I opt of fat-free frozen yogurt.

    Temaskian,
    I would never in a million years have thought of peanut butter and butter. Sounds interesting though. I've also never heard of fried carrot cake. Probably a cultural thing. : )

    Donna,
    Since I'm a vegetarian, it's been a good 25 years since I had any chicken noodle soup. When sick, I opt for vegetable broth.

    But I sure like the rest of your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. Now I am dying for a sesame bagel and we're out of them, too.

    Garlic and oil sounds yummy but I'd be more likely to put on lots of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A slice of freshly made bread with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should do more posts like this one...except you're all making me hungry. : )

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.