Tuesday, August 4, 2009

This Ain't Art

I will be the first to admit that I don't possess the niftiest looking blog on the internet. There are hundreds of thousands of blogs with crisper lines, better symmetry, more radiant colors and a better overall template or theme. Mine is rather clunky. It's probably a bit too "busy" in some places.

Guess what? I don't care. While I do realize this is a visual medium and lots of people gravitate towards slicker presentations, I'm simply not an artsy fellow. I'm more of a utilitarian than anything else. The way I look at it is that, if the links work and the words are readable, I'm content.

Sure, I've been known to tweak the blog from time to time, but, since I began blogging back in 2005, the basic template has remained the same. I've added a few gadgets and doodads -- like the flag counter over in the left column -- but that's about it.

One of the recurrent themes in Taoism is to learn to understand the nature of things. Well, my nature is all about words. I think 'em, write 'em, read 'em, listen to 'em and one of my favorite pastimes is playing word games.

So, if you've stumbled upon this blog and you're wondering why it's not the prettiest one around, now you know. This blog reflects the person behind it: The rather eccentric fellow who tramps around southwest Washington in hickory-striped overalls and colored Converse high-tops.

4 comments:

  1. please don't change a thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm an artsy kind of person but honestly i don't really notice the blog templates and appearance all that much. the only reason i would care would be if it had an annoying amount of ads or if it was barely legible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CM,
    Wasn't planning to. :)

    ET,
    Your content is fine and your design is splendid!

    Iktomi,
    How's the baby?

    ReplyDelete
  4. he's doing very well. :) he's so alert, just looking around at the world with his big blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.