Saturday, August 22, 2009

Beyond Morality

As Alan Watts stated in the previous post, the problem with trying to be moral, virtuous or sincere is that we tend to focus so much attention on an external standard that we lose sight of what we're actually trying to accomplish. When we encounter a circumstance, rather than going with the flow effortlessly, we have to pull out our rule book to determine precisely how we think we should behave. In essence, we try to exert the will of society and/or ourselves on the situation before us.

Now I will be the first to admit that most folks who've grown up in a society strongly influenced by one of the three Abrahamic religions -- Christianity, Islam & Judaism -- have a hard time wrapping their brains around the idea that people can behave in a positive and cooperative manner without moral precepts. The reason for this is that, under these belief systems, homo sapiens inherently are evil creatures and, if left to our own devices, will run amok around the countryside raping, pillaging and murdering anyone who happens to look at us cross-eyed.

This is the precise reason moral codes were established -- to safeguard society from the singular individuals who makeup said society. These moral codes -- transmitted by the almighty and refined by human beings -- have been put in place to save us from our bloodthirsty selves.

However, as has been explained on this blog many times, Taoists don't view the human race as inherently evil. Every being in the universe beholds the opposites of yin and yang. The aim of life is to maintain balance and harmony which means that neither goodness nor evil should predominate.

I can hear some people say, "That's all well and good, but if we lived in a society based on Taoist principles, wouldn't most people simply do what feels right to them at the expense of others in the community?"

And this is where the concept of wu wei comes in. People are vengeful, aggressive, possessive, lustful or greedy because they allow their egos to rule their roost. These traits are but examples of people trying exert their will on others. If people accepted the value of wu wei -- unforced action -- then the specter of ego would be vanquished and this long list of evils would be passe.

People would do what is natural for the circumstances without consciously thinking of what needs to be done. As Benjamin Hoff put it, we wouldn't spend our lives trying to force round pegs into square holes.

9 comments:

  1. Hi R T

    Ummmmmmmmmmm, gee wiz - I am so not the people of whom you write - and yet, oddly, I am a Christian, go figure. :-)

    And is t not ego that is motivating your posts? SO, we, the evil christian can "see" the Tao way??
    I ask this with all due respect -
    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with adhering with one moral set of rules such as Christianity is that

    (1) a person doesn't learn to think for him/herself;

    (2) principles only get updated--and with difficulty--after years of error, as in racism against Africans in the United States;

    (3) It encourages tribalism which leads to mistakes being massively magnified, same example as above applies.

    Even though I am not a Taoist, if I had to decide exclusively between Christianity and Taoism, I would definitely go for the latter.

    After all, nobody has gone on Crusades in the name of Tao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail,
    The concept of original sin -- that all of humanity is flawed due to the acts of Adam & Eve -- is held by the Abrahamic religions. I don't see how anyone could read the Bible or the Koran and not come away with an understanding of the evil nature of people.

    Christians don't view themselves as singularly evil -- it's each and every one of us. So, from that viewpoint, I'm an inherently evil Taoist as you are an inherently evil Christian as someone else might be an inherently evil Hindu, Muslim or atheist.

    This is the foundation behind the concept of why we each need to be saved.

    Lorena,
    Good points, particularly #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi R T

    You are a 'scholar' compared to me when it comes to writing of these things. And I don't believe in original sin - so I don't buy into the Christian fear tactics. I really like all you write about in regards to Taoism - and I like most of what Jesus teaches. I/we live simply and humbly, we don't take more than we need and we share what we have - we love hard and work hard and play harder! :-) Sometimes I feell ike crying when I read some of what you write because I feel grouped in to a 'people' that are just awful because they ally w/Christianity. I ally with love and goodness and truth and music and family and hard work and I stand up against injstice in my own way and I share what I have. I am not sure what world philosophy that is under - but I know I try every day to live simply and lovingly.
    Gosh I feel so sad, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unfortunate thing is that we are not all zen ren people, and even those who are, aren't all of the time...

    And Taoists don't go on crusades because that would be stupid. ;^)

    RT isn't pushing a religion, he is explaining a philosophy. It's not a slight against your religion, or you personally, Gail, he's just putting it into terms that differentiate the basic ideas behind each philosophy.

    Tao starts from an idea that nothing is inherently good or bad, the only difference is how we use it. I don't think you will find the equivalent of that in Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail,
    Donna put it very well indeed!

    Additionally, while you may refer to yourself as a Christian, I'm not altogether convinced you truly are (I mean this in a loving, positive way). There are some basic tenets to that faith and one of them is the concept of original sin -- the idea that humans are each flawed by our evil nature.

    As I wrote before, our evil nature is the premise behind the idea that Jesus needed to sacrifice himself to save us.

    From the Christian viewpoint, none of us is worthy of God's love and we can only be saved through Jesus Christ and God's benevolent mercy. None of this would make a wit of sense UNLESS you accept the first building block -- that humanity is evil and needs to be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rt & Donna

    "Thank you" to you both. Look,I am not trying to argue or provg anything about religions over all. And R T you are SO right about me not being a 100% Christian - I don't ally with original sin and that I need to be saved.
    Donna, I appreciate your input SO much. I understand and you are right I ws taking it personally -

    so again, "thank you" for taking the time
    Love
    Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think it's mainly the fundamentalist christians who view non-christians as inherently evil or unable to do good. the principle being that no one can do any good unless that good flows from jesus- therefore even though us worldly pagans seem to do and be "good" we're really not. :P but many christians believe that good flows from god without the requirement that the person has to be "saved."

    personally i don't think the human race is essentially good or evil, we just are what we are according to our nature. i see value in religion because some people need it in order to keep them from doing evil... criminals converted to christianity comes to mind. but it's always better to think for yourself IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iktomi,
    I would disagree. The entire basis of Christianity -- in all its various forms -- is that humanity is inherently evil. This is why Jesus needed to die on the cross -- to wipe away our blemishes.

    Fundamentalists simply spew more vitriol in their defense of this belief.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.