Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sappy Movies

When it comes to movies, I'm certainly not the prototypical male. I've never enjoyed movies like Rambo, Terminator or Diehard. In general, I'm not that fond of war movies. I don't watch slash 'em type flicks either. If the main point of the film is gratuitous blood and gore, you can count me out.

If you look at my blogger profile, most of the films listed under the "Favorite Movies" category concern morality plays and romance. Tell me a good 'ol sappy movie is on the telly and I'll get the popcorn and the box of kleenexes!

I know why romantic stories appeal to me; I'm not romantic in the least and so I can vicariously experience said emotions only by watching others. Since I don't think most of my neighbors would appreciate it, if I parked myself in front of their bedroom windows, I have to do my peeping at the silver screen. :D)

As I drifted off to sleep last night, I was thinking about the history of my rather weird love life. As is typical with people with Asperger's Syndrome, I haven't been involved in very many intimate relationships. If we include junior and senior high school in the mix, I think I've had a grand total of 5 girl friends and that includes my two marriages.

The most interesting aspect of my five quasi-serious relationships is that the first move was ALWAYS made by the girl/woman, not me. My first kiss, my first petting session and my first roll in the hay all came about because the girl/woman asked me, "Aren't you going to kiss me?"

Don't misunderstand. The thought of kissing each of these females was certainly on my mind! Unfortunately, because I have the inability to read body language and to understand the inferences in any given situation, I never knew if a) the young woman was interested in being kissed by me and b) the current moment was the right time. Consequently, because I never wished to force my affections on anyone, I just came to realize that I had to wait for the girl to make it explicitly clear that the conditions for both a and b had been met.

Ya see, this is why I so love romantic films. The guy always seems to know what and when to do it, unlike me who doesn't have a clue.

3 comments:

  1. A lot of that sounds familiar to me, although for some reason I like the austere, cold style of Stanley Kubrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read a great new sporting comedy, entitled Classes Apart.
    This is an adult sporting comedy that follows the fortunes of Paul Marriot, the secretary of the Barnstorm Village Sunday soccer team and coach of a school cricket team in Yorkshire, England. The story describes the remarkable camaraderie between the players and supporters of this little club and their desire to achieve success. The team had previously been known more for its antics off the field, rather than their performances on it.

    During his time at the club he meets and becomes involved with Emma Potter, who is the sister of James Potter, a major player for their bitter rivals Moortown Inn. Thus, begins an entangled web of romance and conflict. He also begins working at Derry High School, a school with a poor reputation of academic success, where he becomes coach of the school cricket team. Here he develops an amazing relationship with the children and they embark on an epic journey.
    www.eloquentbooks.com/ClassesApart.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.