Monday, June 8, 2009

OK Einstein, What Now?

Over the last day or so I have discussed my formulations on the idea that humans don't really know that much. We don't truly understand what lies beyond this realm and we understand very little of the world around us. We don't know much about how life started and/or what happens to life when we each die. Heck, if we watch the conniption fits most of our fellow humans go through (including looking in the mirror), we can even say we really don't know that much about ourselves!

So, if our bona fide knowledge base is so meager, where does that leave us? Put a different way, if most of what we think we know we don't know, what's the whole point?

I think the answer is bound up in our constant striving for certainty. I mean, that's the objective of knowing -- feeling we understand things in a static and absolute way. For me, the answer then seems to indicate that we need to move away from trying to be too certain within an uncertain world.

I don't tread upon this topic lightly. As a person with Asperger's, my life centers around ritual and routine. I crave a degree of certainty in my everyday life that far exceeds that of most of you. And I tend to become very disturbed if my routines are interrupted or altered.

So, I can't provide a quick fire answer to this dilemma I've posed. It seems to go against my very own neurology! But it's something I'm going to contemplate and meditate about. I need to discover a pathway that allows me to keep to my routinized patterns without bogging me down in this never-ending search for a certainty -- that I know beforehand -- I can never grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.