Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Oh, the Bureaucracy of It All!

Generally, if you're of limited financial means, the dream of owning your own home is little more than a pipe dream. There's simply no way you can ever save enough for a down payment or to handle a monthly mortgage payment that far exceeds your meager income. So, you live in spaces owned by others and dream of what it would be like if only...

But there is a wonderful opportunity to own your own abode through the USDA called the Rural Development Home Loan Program (there are two options within it). If you meet the programs criteria and have the patience to jump through innumerable hoops, you may one day find yourself in a home you can call your own. Utilizing this program is how Della & I came to live in our own house in South Bend.

While the program itself is wonderful, dealing with the bureaucracy that manages it is not. It's like trying to make your way through a maze while blindfolded and your hands are tied behind your back. No matter how simple and straightforward something seems, the bureaucrats will go out of their way to turn it into something complex and convoluted!

We've arrived at the time for our annual subsidy review. We were asked to mail in all sorts of financial documents in a pre-addressed envelope. We complied. However, three weeks later, USDA claimed they hadn't received anything. So, I filled out the forms again and recopied all of the needed documentation and mailed it a second time.

When I contacted them about 2 weeks later, they acknowledged receiving the packet, but claimed they couldn't read a lot of it. "What do you mean you can't read it?" I asked. "Most of the documents are computer-generated." The rep I was talking to told me that, once material is received, it goes through their imaging system and, something, the people in imaging forget to change the toner and so the documents scanned come out too light!

And this is my problem??!! "Well, why don't you go grab the originals", I suggested. No can do was the response. As soon as documents are scanned, the originals are shredded. So, despite the fact I have sent them all the documents that were requested TWICE, I had to do it again a third time. This time, however, the rep suggested I fax the documents.

I spoke to a different rep this morning (this is one of the problems with the system -- each conversation is with a different person) and guess what? They claim they can't read the all the faxed documents! In addition, though I had supposedly worked this out previously with one of the reps -- they now claim some of the documents don't meet their specifications. So, this rep suggested I send in the whole enchilada again.

You know, I'm required to supply the Social Security Administration many of these same documents each month for my SSI and they don't seem to have a problem reading the stuff at all (they have different problems -- like not being able to add correctly). I also supply this documentation to my local Community Services Office to keep up my Medicaid certification and that office has no trouble reading what I turn in.

But not the USDA. It's starting to look like I will be forced to send in all of the same information for a fourth time!

Instead of sporting a crew-cut, I should grow my hair out. That way I would have something more substantial to pull out!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have very little patience with bureaucracies myself. I hate filling up forms. I will do almost anything to avoid it. It's as irritating to me as the screeching sound of chalk on a blackboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi R T
    oh yuck on all the bureaucratic crap-jargen. We are hoping to retire to subsidized housing - we most likely wont be able to afford our townhouse when we are both on social security. Al the extra fees make it so costly. Anyway, we are dreading the process of finding out if we meet criteria so I understand your plight.

    love to you and Della
    Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said, Temaskian!

    Gail, it's all a double-edged sword. For every plus, you have to deal with two or more minuses. Still, it sure beats living in our car! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.