Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thick as Thieves

Mr Kuo of the Ch'i State was very rich, while Mr Hsiang of the Sung State was very poor. The latter traveled from Sung to Ch'i and asked the other for the secret of his prosperity. Mr Kuo told him. 'It is because I am a good thief,' he said. 'The first year I began to be a thief, I had just enough. The second year, I had ample. The third year, I reaped a great harvest. And, in course of time, I found myself the owner of whole villages and districts.' Mr Hsiang was overjoyed; he understood the word 'thief' in its literal sense, but he did not understand the true way of becoming a thief. Accordingly, he climbed over walls and broke into houses, grabbing everything he could see or lay hands upon. But before very long his thefts brought him into trouble, and he was stripped even of what he had previously possessed. Thinking that Mr Kuo had basely deceived him, Hsiang went to him with a bitter complaint. 'Tell me,' said Mr Kuo, 'how did you set about being a thief?' On learning from Mr Hsiang what had happened, he cried out: 'Alas and alack! You have been brought to this pass because you went the wrong way to work. Now let me put you on the right track. We all know that Heaven has its seasons, and that earth has its riches. Well, the things that I steal are the riches of Heaven and earth, each in their season--the fertilizing rain-water from the clouds, and the natural products of mountain and meadow-land. Thus I grow my grain and ripen my crops, build my walls and construct my tenements. From the dry land I steal winged and four-footed game, from the rivers I steal fish and turtles. There is nothing that I do not steal. For corn and grain, clay and wood, birds and beasts, fishes and turtles are all products of Nature. How can I claim them as mine?

'Yet, stealing in this way from Nature, I bring on myself no retribution. But gold, jade, and precious stones, stores of grain, silk stuffs, and other kinds of property, are things accumulated by men, not bestowed upon us by Nature. So who can complain if he gets into trouble by stealing them?

Mr Hsiang, in a state of great perplexity, and fearing to be led astray a second time by Mr Kuo, went off to consult Tung Kuo, a man of learning. Tung Kuo said to him: 'Are you not already a thief in respect of your own body? You are stealing the harmony of the Yin and the Yang in order to keep alive and to maintain your bodily form. How much more, then, are you a thief with regard to external possessions! Assuredly, Heaven and earth cannot be dissociated from the myriad objects of Nature. To claim any one of these as your own betokens confusion of thought. Mr Kuo's thefts are carried out in a spirit of justice, and therefore bring no retribution. But your thefts were carried out in a spirit of self-seeking and therefore landed you in trouble. Those who take possession of property, whether public or private, are thieves.
~ Book of Lieh-Tzü, portion of Book One ~


To a westernized mind, such parables border on insanity. We live in a world in which possession is nine tenths of the law. We live in a world in which mega-corporations are trying to patent plants, seeds and specific genes!

In truth, nothing belongs to anyone in specific. No one can claim a certain breath of air or drop of water. We can erect fences around pieces of property, but none of us can truly own the land -- the original inhabitants of this continent intuitively understood this concept far better than we do!!

The bounty of this realm belongs to everyone and to no one. We necessarily appropriate certain aspects (thievery) in order to live, but we never truly possess them.

3 comments:

  1. Possession. What a nasty word that is. The idea of possession and ownership is something I have issues with... along with labels, and Wal-Mart, and words...

    The only "thing" I need to possess is my Truth.

    (Well... if I'm being honest, I would like an Ipod too, but I'd gladly share it with anyone who asked.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possession is only a word. Until...
    It means something when you have expended effort and/or resources to acquire, build or create something, which is then the target of someone who has done none of these things, other than to try to take it from you.
    If you go the trouble and expense of building a house, you don't let a stranger walk in and kick you out of it.
    If you do, you are not a taoist, or unusually spiritual: you are just really dumb, or a coward, or both.
    Even the Tibetans fought to keep their country and culture. They just weren't very good at fighting.
    Usually marxists are the big proponents of outlawing possessions.
    But history shows the leaders of such regimes only prohibit the masses from owning anything.
    While they continue to own, and own everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val,
    Don't get me started on the evils of Walmart! :)

    Crow,
    You're speaking of man-made possessions. Lieh Tzu was referring to the inability to possess the natural world.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.