Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pain

Pain. Everybody experiences it. Some folks can withstand tremendous amounts of it. Others, like me, are wusses. Well, let me qualify that last statement. I don't handle acute pain well at all; I seem able to withstand a large amount of chronic pain, though.

Over the last week, I have been in fairly severe acute pain. Initially, the pain originated from an inflamed gallbladder. That was dispatched with on Wednesday afternoon. Since that time, the pain has been from the aftereffects of the surgery itself.

When most people meet up with a level of pain that they can't cope with, it means it's time to pop a pill. I have never been a big pill popper. Yet, in this particular instance, I've been taking pain pills (Vicodin). I don't like the way the medication clouds my head -- makes it difficult for me to write -- but I have needed the relief.

I'm able to write this post because I'm forgoing the pain pill. I don't want to get addicted to this kind of stuff, so I only pop a pill when I feel I can't take the pain anymore.

Anyway, this post contains no real wisdom nor a philosophical analysis of the past week. Sitting in a chair is still not very comfortable, so I have spent very little time at the computer keyboard. Hopefully, as my wounds heal, the pain will lessen a bit each day and I can soon return to writing about life and Taoist philosophy.

I do have one observation, however. Pain sucks.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are on the road to recovery. My prayers go to a speedy one and for your pain to easy as soon as possible.

    I have suffered from kidney stones and can sympathize with the need for pain relief. Either way, with the pain or with the drugs, I would be unable to think. Better to not be able to without pain than with.

    Godspeed to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well wishes for recovery. I've never had major surgery, but I know many who have. The meds will help you get through the recovery easier; you do better when you can relax and sleep, and pain gets in the way of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, pain sucks. I wish I could give some deep words of wisdom to make you feel better, but... pain sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesse,
    I've heard that the pain from kidney stones is even worse than that from gallstones. So, I really feel for ya!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.