Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Big White Blanket

Last night it snowed and snowed and snowed. I awoke this morning to a winter wonderland; a big white blanket on everything. It will melt in short order as today's high will be in the mid 40s (it's already 34 degrees as of 8:44 a.m.) and all this snow will be a distant memory by tomorrow.

As I slipped into slumber land last night while watching the huge flakes fall from the sky, I asked myself, "Why snow?" Of course, the local meteorologists can describe the scientific basis for snow -- clouds, moisture, temperature, etc., but none of us can really know why snow!

In fact, we can't answer the real why of anything. Why earth? Why people? Even why tuna?

The best we can do is to conjure up descriptions of things we will never understand. In the end, that's all science really is, a discipline that sets about to describe what we can't truly define. (Conversely, religion attempts to define what we can't define!)

So, as I drifted off to sleep, I left behind the conscious world amidst a different question -- Why not snow?

4 comments:

  1. Why tuna?

    Well, how else am I gonna use up that jar of Mayonaise in the frig?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science makes me laugh.
    A wild guess, arrived at by scientific process and agreed with by the majority.
    When in fact:
    All is mystery.
    And that is exectly how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rambling,

    Why tuna? Why not?

    I am so going to be following your blog from now on. I've spent some time here today and have to say that I love it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why tuna? Because I loathe it. I detest its smell. I detest its taste. I detest everything about it dead.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.