Sunday, December 7, 2008

Second Nature

I realized, after finishing my last post, that comparing wu wei to being "in the zone" might lead some to ask, "OK Einstein, how does one get in the zone?" Taoist philosophy offers a very straightforward answer. It's not one bound up in secret rituals, contrived prayers, particular body positions nor specific bodily movements. It's far simpler than that -- It comes with practice.

Falling back again on a sports-based analogy, it's why athletes -- regardless of their level or proficiency -- practice the fundamentals over and over ad nauseam. You practice and practice and practice so that, whatever your discipline is, it becomes second nature to you. You want to get to the point in which you merely react to various situations WITHOUT the need to think through every step along the way.

When we first learn a craft or discipline, we often create checklists of the various steps needed to complete each particular task. Some people literally write this information down, while others keep a virtual checklist in their head. We move slowly, referring to the checklist every step of the way. Sometimes, when beginning step 6, we realize we skipped step 3 and have to start all over again.

As we slowly learn the steps involved, we are able to complete the task satisfactorily, but we do it in a start-stop-start again fashion. In other words, because we're still getting our feet under us, so to speak, the activity doesn't flow as intended. In time, if we continue to practice the steps over and over again, we get to the point in which the task becomes second nature and we no longer need to think about it -- we just do it!

For me, this is how I understand wu wei. It's the ability to complete tasks, duties and responsibilities in an effortless manner. Hence, the appearance of action through no action.

2 comments:

  1. This is not my understanding, or practice, of wu wei.

    If a thing does not arise of itself, no amount of practice makes it so. For example, one cannot practice one's face and make it what one wishes. Our face arises of itself.

    Rather than concentrating on the means, wu wei focuses on the desired end. An example from my life:

    In my walks to and from work (I don't drive a car) I walk across a bridge over an inlet of the sea. The sidewalk on the bridge is quite narrow and only on one side. There are bicycle lanes on both sides of the bridge. Frequently I encounter a bicyclist riding toward me on the sidewalk rather than in the bike lane. I used to ask the bicyclist to use the bike lane rather than the sidewalk. This often elicited angry responses from the bicyclists, who did not like being told where to ride.

    Then one day I developed a new approach. As I observed the bicyclist riding toward me on the sidewalk, I simply turned around and walked away from him. Each and every time I have done this, the bicyclist has left the sidewalk and continued across the bridge in the bike lane, with no confrontation, no anger. The behavior I desired rose of itself from the situation at hand. Wu wei.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayduke,
    As with all things in life, different people will understand concepts in different ways and, sometimes, the same individual will understand a concept in different ways at different times.

    I think your conception of wu wei only deepens its overall meaning. It's not that my conception is right and yours is wrong or vice versa. For me, both our ways of describing our understanding only reinforce the ideal of "not forcing" things in life.

    Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.