Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sensations All Around

Another classic symptom of Asperger's Syndrome has to do with sights, sounds, textures and tastes. The AS individual is often far more sensitive to these than the average person. I've even read that some with AS can taste sounds, though I've never experienced this and I'm not altogether sure I even understand it.

While I may not be able to understand this phenomena, I do understand much of the rest. I have a tactile aversion to corduroy and velvet. If my fingers or some other part of my body comes into contact with either, I feel as if I just stuck my hand into a live electrical socket. It makes my teeth clatter and I get the weirdest sensation in my head.

When I was a wee lad my parents bought me a dark brown corduroy suit -- coat and pants. It was for those extra special occasions. From my point of view, no occasion was special enough to convince me voluntarily to don this "prison garb". I can vaguely recall a few arguments concerning my adamant refusal to wear this outfit.

Obviously, I must have lost these battles because I have retained several photos with me in it. Needless to say, I'm not smiling in ANY of the pictures. I'm sure the only thing going through my head was "Get this damn thing off of me!"

A closely related aversion is to carbonated or fermented beverages. For me, it's sort like drinking corduroy. As soon as the fizz hits my tongue, it gets spit out. Consequently, I have never consumed a coke, pepsi, or any other soft drink.

On the wedding night of my first marriage, I eagerly popped the cork of the champagne only to discover I couldn't drink it -- too fizzy! I've never downed a beer for the same reason. Heck, I've never been able to swallow Alka Seltzer.

Speaking of eating and drinking, I seem to have an inability to eat or drink anything while walking. Trying to swallow while the rest of my body is moving almost always leads me to choke. I can successfully manage to swallow consumables while standing -- just as long as I'm not moving.

I also have an aversion to low decibel noises. While I'll be the first to admit that I don't possess the keenest hearing, I often hear low noises that no one around me hears. On the other hand, I often don't hear higher pitched noises that everyone else hears.

While I don't seem to mind low-watt fluorescent lights, the brighter ones -- those in many department stores -- give me a royal headache. On other occasions, the lights themselves aren't the problem; it's the noise emitting from them that drives me up the wall.

Most of my family and cohorts are used to my peculiarities. They don't necessarily understand them, but they're used to them. Strangers and acquaintances, however, don't know what to make of them at all. I suppose that is to be expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.