Friday, February 17, 2006

A Sharp Dose of a Nasty Reality

Here's a frightening account of what it's like living in a land of occupying troops, secret police forces, vigilantes and death squads. This story comes from Baghdad Burning and should remind us Americans that -- despite all the evils of the Bush administration -- we have it fairly easy.
I could feel my heart pounding in my ears and I got closer to the kerosene heater in an attempt to dispel the cold that seemed to have permanently taken over my fingers and toes. T. was trembling, wrapped in her blanket. I waved her over to the heater but she shook her head and answered, “I.... mmmm… n-n-not… c-c-cold…”

It came ten minutes later. A big clanging sound on the garden gate and voices yelling “Ifta7u [OPEN UP]”. I heard my uncle outside, calling out, “We’re opening the gate, we’re opening…” It was moments and they were inside the house. Suddenly, the house was filled with strange men, yelling out orders and stomping into rooms. It was chaotic. We could see flashing lights in the garden and lights coming from the hallways. I could hear Ammoo S. talking loudly outside, telling them his wife and the ‘children’ were the only ones in the house. What were they looking for? Was there something wrong? He asked.

Suddenly, two of them were in the living room. We were all sitting on the sofa, near my aunt. My cousin B. was by then awake, eyes wide with fear. They were holding large lights or ‘torches’ and one of them pointed a Klashnikov at us. “Is there anyone here but you and them?” One of them barked at my aunt. “No- it’s only us and my husband outside with you- you can check the house.” T.’s hands went up to block the glaring light of the torch and one of the men yelled at her to put her hands down, they fell limply in her lap. I squinted in the strong light and as my sight adjusted, I noticed they were wearing masks, only their eyes and mouths showing. I glanced at my cousins and noted that T. was barely breathing. J. was sitting perfectly still, eyes focused on nothing in particular, I vaguely noted that her sweater was on backwards.

One of them stood with the Klashnikov pointed at us, and the other one began opening cabinets and checking behind doors. We were silent. The only sounds came from my aunt, who was praying in a tremulous whisper and little B., who was sucking away at his thumb, eyes wide with fear. I could hear the rest of the troops walking around the house, opening closets, doors and cabinets.

2 comments:

  1. This really is pretty awful, and you are right: we should remember that things are a lot better here.

    Of course, the U.S. is largely responsible for the way things are in Iraq today. And the images of armed, masked military gunmen breaking into houses and threatening people are starting to seem less distant every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but it is nice to know that outsourcing isn't limited to manufacturing jobs. We are also outsourcing American bullying tactics.

    Remember, the US military does not use Klashnikovs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.