Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bit by Bit - Chapter 16, Part 1

Trey Smith

Those who set about mending the inborn nature through vulgar learning, hoping thereby to return once more to the Beginning; those who set about muddling their desires through vulgar ways of thought, hoping thereby to attain clarity - they may be called the blind and benighted people.
~ Burton Watson translation ~
When I was a young lad and coming of the age to begin dating, I remember one of the tidbits of advice offered by family and friends alike: Act natural. So, like most of my compatriots, I spent hours in front of the mirror practicing acting naturally.

It didn't dawn on me until much later that being natural required no acting! In fact, trying to be natural was an ironclad guarantee that I would be anything but.

To view the Index page for this series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.