Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What's Up With Finland?

Trey Smith

We utilize various tracking software on this blog. Since almost the beginning, we've used SiteMeter (right sidebar). In 2009, we added the two Flag Counters (left sidebar) and somewhere along the line Blogger added some tracking capabilities as well.

What's interesting to me is that these three tools don't always mesh as well as one might think. According to Sitemeter, we regularly receive anywhere from 2 - 5 daily visits from persons located in the nation of Finland. However, these visits are not recorded as such by Flag Counter. The number currently shown is woefully low in comparison to the actual number of visits.

Why is this? What does Flag Counter have against our Finnish friends? Shouldn't they be counted too?

4 comments:

  1. Does Flag Counter show hits from Russia. I know some of my stat software discounts anything from Russia as being spam. Maybe Flag Counter just thinks Finland is too close to Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Russian visits are recorded.

    Another nation that Flag Counter doesn't record as frequently as SiteMeter or Google is New Zealand. Maybe they are too close to China. :-D

    I'm sure there is some rationale behind the differences between the three services -- I just wish I knew what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that Finnish and Korean are linguistically related? Maybe the hits are being conflated with Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I've noticed discrepancies between the two sitemeters I use too. On the other hand, I weigh less on my home scale than I do on my doctor's.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.