Thursday, October 20, 2011

Better Than Fake Boobs

The world is full of middle-aged women eager to youthfully reinvent themselves. And towering above the Real Housewives, standing tippy-toe taller than even Madonna, there is, always, Barbie. But though the blond icon has been a cashier, a model, a United States president and a cyborg-like half-human, half video camera, is the world ready for America’s sweetheart to be a tattooed bad-ass?

In a partnership that could only evolve from teaming up with an Italian-created, Japanese-inspired and Los Angeles-based company, Mattel has partnered with the cult brand Tokidoki to create a limited-edition Barbie with a Harajuku twist. This “cutting edge” Barbie rocks a pink bob, a slouchy crossbones top — and a swath of retro-themed ink that climbs across her shoulders and up her neck. She’s so popular that she’s on back order till the end of the month. Jesse James, we’ve found your next girlfriend.
~ from Barbie Gets a Tattoo Makeover by Mary Elizabeth Williams ~
I'm sure this is causing quite a stir in Evangelical-land! It was bad enough when Mattel introduced dark-skinned Barbies. OMG! What could be next? Lesbian Barbie could be just around the corner.

While I am not personally into tats -- no ink to be found on my skin -- they are fast becoming mainstream. People of all ages and from all walks of life sport them these days. So, why shouldn't Barbie be updated to the times? Maybe they could create a scenario in which Barbie and Ken go to the tattoo parlor together!

Besides, I agree with what one parent pointed out: “I think the pink hair and tattoos are fine. The objectionable things about Barbie are the tiny feet and gigantic fake boobs.”

Since as long as I can remember, the toymakers have insured that Barbie was well endowed. Isn't that the kind of message you want to share with your 9 year old daughter? "Honey, one day you will look like this naturally or through the magic of plastic surgery. As a woman, this is what matters."

So, I say up with the tats, but down -- a cup size or two -- with the tits.

5 comments:

  1. So, you're not a tit-man...

    Personally, I think nothing looks sadder than aged skin, male or female, with a tattoo, and I have the opposite of regret for having never indulged in this fetish. Flowers and dragons look wilted and wimpy when skin begins to sag and the ink has faded.

    I'm not sure all these Barbie's are being sold to kids...there is a collector community. I have a Barbie I acquired several years ago---an Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds" Barbie, Tippi Hedren in a tasteful and modest knee-length sheath and jacket, brown pumps and matching purse, complete with attacking crows. It's hilarious. I don't have a daughter, and I was just outside the demographic for which these were first marketed, so this probably fulfilled some wish (better than a late-life tattoo). I do have an acquaintance whose recently uncloseted nephew used to trouble his mother by making clothes for HIS Barbie's.

    What does concern me is that a lot of very young girls already have astonishingly huge breasts, probably as a result of some hormonal shift in diet, and display them in a way that Tippi Hedren --Melanie Griffith's mother-- never would have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I AM a tit-man. Bigger, however, is not always better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to try and come up with a clever comment to this post using the expression "tit for tat", but I'm not that quick on the draw with snappy word plays. Perhaps the reverse of the expression, i.e. "tat for tit" or maybe "tats o'er tits" works better to describe your post. In any case, Barbie has always looked top heavy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy,
    Funny you should mention those title options. I actually considered entitling this post, "Tats for Tits," but opted to utilize the words, "boobs" because it might draw in some horny guys looking for pictures of boobs and finding instead a bit of social commentary.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.